Louvre Heist: Stolen Treasures, a Dropped Crown, and Alarming Security Questions

Louvre Heist: Stolen Treasures, a Dropped Crown, and Alarming Security Questions


Share this post

It is the most spectacular robbery at the Louvre museum since the Mona Lisa disappeared in 1911.

And it poses serious questions about levels of security covering French artworks, at a time when they are increasingly being targeted by criminal gangs.

According to France's new interior minister Laurent Nuñez, the gang that broke into the Apollo Gallery on Sunday morning was clearly professional.

They knew what they wanted, had evidently "cased the joint" in advance, had a brazenly simple but effective modus operandi, and needed no more than seven minutes to take their booty and get away.

In a truck equipped with an elevating platform of the type used by removal companies, they parked on the street outside, raised themselves up to the first floor, then used a disc-cutter to enter through a window.

Inside the richly decorated gallery they made for two display-cases which contain what remains of the French crown jewels.

Most of France's royal regalia was lost or sold after the 1789 Revolution, but some items were saved or bought back. Most of what was in the cases, though, dates from the 19th Century and the two imperial families of Napoleon and his nephew Napoleon III.

The Marie-Louise necklace and a pair of earrings were among the eight items stolen
A tiara worn by the Empress Eugenie, wife of Napoleon III, was taken

According to the authorities, eight items were taken including diadems, necklaces, ear-rings and brooches.

A large jewel-encrusted bow which also belonged to the Empress is also among items unaccounted for
Thieves took a number of items which were previously worn by Queen Marie-Amelie, who was married to King Louis Philippe I

They had belonged to Napoleon's wife the empress Marie-Louise; to his sister-in-law Queen Hortense of Holland; to Queen Marie-Amelie, wife of France's last King Louis-Philippe, who ruled from 1830 to 1848; and to the empress Eugénie, wife of Napoleon III, who ruled from 1852 to 1870.

A crown of the empress Eugénie was also taken, but was recovered damaged near the museum after the thieves seemingly dropped it.

One of a pair of earrings which previously belonged to the 19th century Queen are also missing
Marie-Amelie's crown was taken, though another worn by Princess Eugenie was apparently dropped during the thieves' escape

In a statement the culture ministry said that the alarms had sounded correctly. Five museum staff who were in the gallery or nearby followed protocol by contacting security forces and protecting visitors.

It said the gang had tried to set fire to their vehicle outside but were prevented by the intervention of a museum staff-member.

The heist took place in a gallery just a short walk from some of the world's most famous paintings – such as the Mona Lisa.

But the criminal groups that order heists like this do not target world-famous paintings that cannot ever be displayed or sold. They prefer items that can be converted into cash – and jewels top the list.

However huge their historical and cultural value, crowns and diadems can easily be broken apart and sold in bits. Even large and famous diamonds can be cut. The final sales price might not be what the original artefact was worth, but it will still be considerable.

Two recent museum thefts in France had already alerted the authorities to the growing audacity of art gangs, and a security plan drawn up by the culture ministry is gradually being put into effect across France.

Thieves attempted to take Empress Eugenie's crown but apparently dropped it during the getaway

"We are well aware that French museums are vulnerable," said Nuñez.

In September thieves took raw gold – in its mineral state – from the Natural History Museum in Paris. The gold was worth about €600,000 (£520,000) and will have been easily disposed of on the black market.

In the same month thieves took porcelain worth €6m from a museum in Limoges – a city once famous for its chinaware. The haul could well have been commissioned by a foreign buyer.

The Louvre contains thousands of artworks that are famous around the world, and an equal number of more obscure items that are nonetheless culturally significant.

But in its 230-year history there have been relatively few thefts – largely thanks to the tight security in place.

The most recent disappearance was of a landscape by the 19th Century artist Camille Corot. Le Chemin de Sèvres (The Road to Sèvres) was simply removed from a wall in 1998 when no-one was looking, and has not been seen since.

But by far the most famous theft was the one that took place in 1911, when Leonardo da Vinci's La Joconde – better known now as the Mona Lisa – was taken. The culprit back then hid in a closet overnight, then was able to remove the painting from its frame, wrap it up in his smock, tuck it under his arm and walk out.

It turned out he was an Italian nationalist who wanted the artwork brought back home. It was found in Italy in 1914 and returned to the Louvre.

Unless they have a quick success in catching the thieves, today's investigators are unlikely to be so lucky. 

The first aim of the gang will be to disperse the jewels and sell them on. It will not be hard.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville, home of the Tennessee Titans, will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030 after all 32 NFL owners unanimously voted for it on Tuesday. The league now has its Super Bowl site schedule finalized for the next three years, with SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles) set to be the host this season, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta) in 2028, then Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas) in 2029. Nashville will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030! #SBLXIV pic.twitter.com/A4ZsLrQaUP — NFL (@NFL) May 19, 2026 'New' Nissan Stadium


O A

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James is facing one of the most uncertain offseasons of his career. The 41-year-old star has not decided whether he will return for another NBA season. His comments followed the Los Angeles Lakers playoff exit earlier this week. The team was eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder in a first-round sweep. “I don’t know what the future holds,” James said after the loss.  He added that he plans to take time with his family before making any decision. Uncertainty After a Historic Season


O A

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B leads the 2026 BET Awards nominations, securing six noms including Album of the Year and Best Female Hip Hop Artist.  The nominations, announced Tuesday, position the “I Like It” artist ahead of a highly competitive field of musicians and actors set to be honored at next month’s ceremony. The 2026 BET Awards will air live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles on June 28.  Following closely behind Cardi B are Kendrick Lamar and Mariah the Scientist, who both earned five nominations ea


O A

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese took a wall of boos from Dallas fans and turned it into fuel, powering her way to a monster double‑double in one of her early WNBA games. The Chicago Sky rookie was loudly jeered during introductions and each time she touched the ball but responded with relentless work on the glass and in the paint. Game recaps note that Reese racked up an impressive stat line, dominating the boards and battling through contact as the crowd tried to throw her off. The game quickly became a talking p


B P