UEFA declares ‘loss of confidence’ in FIFA president Infantino & vow to take action

UEFA declares ‘loss of confidence’ in FIFA president Infantino & vow to take action


Share this post

FIFA president Gianni Infantino has lost the "confidence" of European football's governing body after his plan to allow private investment in the World Cup was withdrawn following a global backlash.

UEFA had threatened to boycott all FIFA competitions if Infantino had insisted on trying to push through his plan, which they dismissed on Saturday as a "shabby, back room, opaque deal."

FIFA's plan, which had envisaged raising up to $4.2 billion based on a valuation of $20 billion for FIFA Forward Enterprise (FFE), a planned commercial subsidiary to run events such as the World Cup and Club World Cup.

It said the project could provide each of FIFA's 211 member associations with a one-off payment of $20 million in early 2027 and increase their funding allocation for the 2027-2030 cycle from $8 million to $20 million.

All that has gone up in smoke and UEFA rammed home the damage that has been done just weeks after FIFA and Infantino had basked in the afterglow of what was judged a successful World Cup, the first with 48 teams and spread over three countries.

"The current FIFA leadership has not only lost UEFA's confidence but also that of many other members of the football family," read the statement.

While UEFA welcomed the withdrawal of a proposal unanimously rejected by itself and also by other confederations "whose job it is to protect football", it did not hold back in its criticism of Infantino.

The statement said the 56-year-old Swiss had broken promises he made when he successfully first sought election in 2016 - namely to be "transparent" and that FIFA's money was "your (the member associations) money" and "not the money of the FIFA President."

"On both these promises, he has failed to deliver," said UEFA. "The shabby, back room, opaque deal he hatched and tried to force through were anything but transparent.

"And with reserves standing at over $5bn, he has also failed to use associations' money for the benefit of the game."

"Cannot occur again"

UEFA said "we cannot keep going on like this with secret schemes on fast track timescales", and that now was the time for responsible parties to come together and prevent it happening again.

"It is right that, in the coming days and weeks, UEFA will work with its associations and in close cooperation with other confederations to reflect on how this happened and devise a plan to make sure that it cannot occur again," they said.

"That review should be thorough and fundamental. No option should be off the table."

Infantino was expected to be re-elected unopposed for a third and final term next year, but this humiliating spectacle has perhaps opened the way for a rival to step forward.

UEFA were already at loggerheads with FIFA; their president Aleksander Ceferin boycotted the World Cup final.

"This is a victory for the whole game. But it must not be the end of the story," UEFA said.

"The proposal has gone. The task of rebuilding trust in FIFA has only just begun."


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
LeBron James to Debut With 76ers Against Knicks as full NBA season schedule revealed

LeBron James to Debut With 76ers Against Knicks as full NBA season schedule revealed

US basketball fans will have plenty of chances to check out LeBron James's first season in Philadelphia, with the 76ers featured in 34 nationally televised games, according to the full NBA season schedule released on Thursday. The NBA had already announced that James and the Sixers would be in action on the first day of the league's 81st season on October 20th -- trying to spoil the New York Knicks' celebration of last season's crown. That game is part of a three-game slate featuring James lau


O A

Westbrook announces retirement after 18 seasons in NBA

Westbrook announces retirement after 18 seasons in NBA

Future Hall of Famer Russell Westbrook announced his NBA retirement on Wednesday, posting a video of his career highlights. Westbrook played ‌in 18 NBA campaigns between 2008 and 2026, shining the most during his first 11 seasons playing for the Oklahoma City Thunder.  Westbrook was ⁠one of the best players in the NBA during the 2010s, winning the 2016-17 MVP with the Thunder. He made the NBA Finals once as well as four Western Conference Finals appearances in his time ⁠there. "Sometimes you


O A

MLB All-Star Tim Anderson announces retirement after ten seasons

MLB All-Star Tim Anderson announces retirement after ten seasons

Two-time All-Star shortstop Tim Anderson announced his retirement from Major League Baseball on Monday after 10 years in the league. Anderson, 33, spent the first eight years of his career with the Chicago White Sox after the team selected him 17th overall in the 2013 MLB Draft.  "The game brought a lot of good moments but also brought a lot of pain," said Anderson during a call with reporters. "Throughout playing, there definitely were a lot of dark moments. I lost a lot of people. It got to


O A

Wendy Williams Documentaries From Netflix & Peacock Coming Soon

Wendy Williams Documentaries From Netflix & Peacock Coming Soon

Two streaming giants may soon offer competing portraits of Wendy Williams, the former daytime television host whose career made her one of the most recognizable voices in American entertainment. Netflix and Peacock are reportedly developing separate documentaries about Williams, according to The Sun. Neither company has confirmed the projects publicly. Still, reports suggest both productions are moving forward as interest in Williams’ career and personal life persists. Peacock and Netflix Are


O A