Federal judge won’t immediately block Elon Musk or DOGE from federal data or worker layoffs
#image_title

Federal judge won’t immediately block Elon Musk or DOGE from federal data or worker layoffs


Share this post

A federal judge ruled on Tuesday that she wouldn't immediately block Elon Musk and the Department of Government Efficiency (DOGE) from accessing government data systems or getting involved in worker layoffs.

U.S. District Judge Tanya Chutkan acknowledged that there are real questions about Musk’s authority, but she didn’t find enough evidence of serious legal harm to warrant a temporary restraining order.

This decision came in response to a lawsuit filed by 14 Democratic states challenging DOGE’s right to access sensitive government data. The states' attorneys general argued that Musk is exercising a level of power that, according to the Constitution, should only belong to elected officials or those confirmed by the Senate.

The Trump administration, on the other hand, maintains that any layoffs are being led by agency heads, not Musk, despite his public support for the initiative. They also argue that Musk isn't directly involved in the day-to-day running of DOGE.

DOGE, with Trump’s approval, has gained access to computer systems across multiple government agencies. The goal has been to dig into budgets and look for what Musk calls waste, fraud, and abuse, but the growing number of lawsuits against DOGE claim it's breaking the law.

Judge Chutkan recognized the concerns of the states, including New Mexico and Arizona, saying that DOGE’s actions have caused confusion and uncertainty. She agreed that their concerns about Musk’s “unchecked authority” and the lack of Congressional oversight were valid and could be argued successfully down the road.

However, she pointed out that, for now, it's unclear how DOGE's work will affect the states, and judges can only block actions that cause immediate harm.

Chutkan, nominated by President Barack Obama, had previously overseen the criminal election interference case against Trump, which was ultimately dismissed.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Caitlyn Jenner Hit With Lawsuit Over Alleged Crypto Pump‑And‑Dump

Caitlyn Jenner Hit With Lawsuit Over Alleged Crypto Pump‑And‑Dump

Caitlyn Jenner is facing fresh legal trouble over her foray into cryptocurrency, after investors filed a new class action lawsuit accusing her of helping run an alleged “pump‑and‑dump” scheme around a meme coin linked to her name. The former Olympian and reality TV star is accused of using her fame and social media reach to promote the token before its value crashed, leaving smaller buyers nursing losses while early insiders allegedly cashed out. According to the complaint, plaintiffs say a wav


B P

Jason Lee Says Rihanna Didn’t Snub Tyla At The Met

Jason Lee Says Rihanna Didn’t Snub Tyla At The Met

Jason Lee is pushing back on the viral narrative that Rihanna “snubbed” Tyla on the Met Gala carpet. A short clip of Tyla approaching Rihanna and then seemingly being waved off lit up timelines, with some viewers casting the moment as proof the superstar had no time for the younger Afro‑pop singer. In comments highlighted by Complex, Lee says he spoke directly with Rihanna’s camp and was told there was no shade intended, arguing that people projected “mean girl” energy onto a split‑second inter


B P

Drake Surprises With 3 New Albums: ‘ICEMAN,’ ‘Habibti,’ & ‘Maid of Honour’

Drake Surprises With 3 New Albums: ‘ICEMAN,’ ‘Habibti,’ & ‘Maid of Honour’

Drake’s ICEMAN rollout concludes with the surprise release of three new albums. The biggest name in hip-hop drops 43 new songs across three albums, titled ICEMAN, Habibti, and Maid of Honour. All three are released under OVO Sounds, with an exclusive license to Republic Records, an imprint of Universal Music Group. Fans had spent months waiting for ICEMAN, a project Drake began teasing as far back as 2024. But during the closing moments of his “Iceman Episode 4” livestream, the Toronto supersta


O A

Madonna, Shakira and BTS headline half-time show for FIFA World Cup final

Madonna, Shakira and BTS headline half-time show for FIFA World Cup final

Madonna, Shakira and K-pop megastars BTS will headline a Super Bowl-style half-time show at the World Cup final on July 19th at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey, FIFA said Thursday. Coldplay's Chris Martin is curating the show, which is a first for a football World Cup final, but has raised concerns about how long half-time will be. The biggest-ever World Cup, with 48 teams, kicks off on June 11th in the United States, Canada and Mexico. FIFA president Gianni Infantino announced in March last ye


O A