US Revokes Colombian President Gustavo Petro’s Visa Over ‘Reckless and Incendiary’ Remarks

US Revokes Colombian President Gustavo Petro’s Visa Over ‘Reckless and Incendiary’ Remarks


Share this post

The US has said it will revoke Colombian President Gustavo Petro's visa, after he urged US soldiers to disobey his American counterpart Donald Trump during remarks at a rally in New York. 

The State Department described Petro's comments at a pro-Palestinian street protest on Friday as "reckless and incendiary".

The Colombian leader was in the US for the UN General Assembly, where earlier this week he called for a criminal inquiry into the Trump administration's airstrikes on alleged drug-trafficking boats in the Caribbean.

He was already on his way back to Bogota when the US announced it would cancel his visa, Colombian media reports.

Petro shared a video on social media of him addressing a large crowd through a megaphone in Spanish on Friday.

He called for the formation of a "world salvation army, whose first task is to liberate Palestine".

"That is why, from here in New York, I ask all soldiers in the United States Army not to point their rifles at humanity," he said. "Disobey Trump's order! Obey the order of humanity!"

Petro added: "As happened in the First World War, I want the young people, sons and daughters of workers and farmers, of both Israel and the United States, to point their rifles not toward humanity, but toward the tyrants and toward the fascists."

The US State Department strongly criticised the remarks, saying he had "urged US soldiers to disobey orders and incite violence".

It wrote on social media that the revocation of his visa was "due to his reckless and incendiary actions".

Colombia's Interior Minister Armando Benedetti wrote on X on Friday night that Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's visa should have been annulled rather than Petro's.

"But since the empire protects him, it's taking it out on the only president who was capable enough to tell him the truth to his face," he said.

Relations between Petro - who leads Colombia's first ever left-wing government - and the Trump administration have worsened in recent months.

The Colombian leader used his speech at the UN to launch an excoriating rebuke of US strikes on boats suspected of being used to transport drugs, arguing they were not about controlling the drug trade but serving a need to use "violence to dominate Colombia and Latin America".

He said some of those killed by the strikes may have been from Colombia, which is the world's biggest cocaine producer, and claimed US officials were allied to drug gangs while his government was persuading farmers to not grow coca.

Petro likened the air strikes to an "act of tyranny" in an interview with the BBC.

Washington contends the actions are part of a US anti-drug operation off the coast of Venezuela, whose president it accuses of running a cartel.

The US also denied visas for Mahmoud Abbas, the Palestinian president, and 80 Palestinian officials, blocking them from attending the UN General Assembly, despite world leaders conventionally being permitted to attend the body's headquarters regardless of their relations with the US.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville, home of the Tennessee Titans, will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030 after all 32 NFL owners unanimously voted for it on Tuesday. The league now has its Super Bowl site schedule finalized for the next three years, with SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles) set to be the host this season, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta) in 2028, then Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas) in 2029. Nashville will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030! #SBLXIV pic.twitter.com/A4ZsLrQaUP — NFL (@NFL) May 19, 2026 'New' Nissan Stadium


O A

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James is facing one of the most uncertain offseasons of his career. The 41-year-old star has not decided whether he will return for another NBA season. His comments followed the Los Angeles Lakers playoff exit earlier this week. The team was eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder in a first-round sweep. “I don’t know what the future holds,” James said after the loss.  He added that he plans to take time with his family before making any decision. Uncertainty After a Historic Season


O A

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B leads the 2026 BET Awards nominations, securing six noms including Album of the Year and Best Female Hip Hop Artist.  The nominations, announced Tuesday, position the “I Like It” artist ahead of a highly competitive field of musicians and actors set to be honored at next month’s ceremony. The 2026 BET Awards will air live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles on June 28.  Following closely behind Cardi B are Kendrick Lamar and Mariah the Scientist, who both earned five nominations ea


O A

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese took a wall of boos from Dallas fans and turned it into fuel, powering her way to a monster double‑double in one of her early WNBA games. The Chicago Sky rookie was loudly jeered during introductions and each time she touched the ball but responded with relentless work on the glass and in the paint. Game recaps note that Reese racked up an impressive stat line, dominating the boards and battling through contact as the crowd tried to throw her off. The game quickly became a talking p


B P