Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour

Trump Revokes Secret Service Protection for Harris Ahead of Book Tour


Share this post

President Donald Trump has cancelled Secret Service protection for Kamala Harris, which had been extended by Joe Biden before he left office, according to one of her advisers.

As a former vice-president, Ms Harris was entitled under law to receive six months of security after leaving office in January, which was due to expire in July.

Her protection had been quietly extended for another year by a directive signed by her former boss but was revoked by Trump in a memo dated on Thursday, according to am memo.

The move comes just before Harris embarks on a national book tour to promote "107 Days" - a memoir of her short-lived and ultimately unsuccessful 2024 presidential campaign. 


A copy of a letter dated 28 August, directs the Secret Service to "discontinue any security-related procedures previously authorised by Executive Memorandum, beyond those required by law" for Harris from 1 September. 

A senior White House official confirmed the move.

Sources familiar with the situation said that a recent threat assessment found nothing alarming that would warrant extending her detail past the legally-mandated six month period she was entitled to.

In 2008, the US Congress enacted a law permitting the Secret Service to provide protection to former Vice Presidents, their spouses and any children under the age of 16 after leaving office. 

It has been just over seven months since Harris left office at the end ofJoe Biden's administration in January. 

Harris' husband, Doug Emhoff, had his own protections end on 1 July at the end of the legally mandated period.

Harris will lose the agents that are assigned to protect her and her property in Los Angeles, as well as proactive threat intelligence carried out to identify and pre-empt any potential threats. 

The price of similar protections, if privately funded, could add up to millions of dollars per year. 

California Governor Gavin Newsom and Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass have both expressed outrage at the announcement. 

"This is another act of revenge following a lost list of political retaliation in the form of firings, the revoking of security clearances and more," Ms Bass told CNN, who were first to report the story.

The LA mayor said this puts Harris in danger and she would make sure she was safe in Los Angeles. 

Since returning to the White House in January, Trump has revoked Secret Service protections for a number of people, including Hunter and Ashley Biden, the children of the former president, and Anthony Fauci, the former director of the National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases. 

Several former Trump officials and allies have also had their protections revoked, including ex-Secretary of State Mike Pompeo and John Bolton, a former national security adviser who had become a vocal critic. 

Harris faced several security threats during her time in office, and former Secret Service officials have said that the dangers were compounded by the fact that she was the first woman and first person of colour to serve in the office.

In August 2024, for example, a Virginia man was charged with making online threats to kill, kidnap or injure Harris and former President Barack Obama.

In an earlier incident in 2021, a 39-year old Florida woman pled guilty to making threats against Harris after admitting she sent videos to her imprisoned husband in which she displayed weapons and said that a "hit" could be carried out within 50 days.

Trump faced two assassination attempts during last year's presidential campaign, during which the Secret Service played a key role in protecting him.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Apple Music Now Lets You Transfer Playlists From Spotify

Apple Music Now Lets You Transfer Playlists From Spotify

Apple Music's latest feature makes it easier to switch services and juggle multiple music platforms. Apple Music app customers woke up to a new feature Tuesday, although not many know it exists yet.  View this post on Instagram A post shared by New Dope (@newdopehq) Apple Music subscribers can now grab songs or playlists from other music platforms, notably Spotify, and bring them to Apple. The ability to transfer music from other music services is buried in the Music App settings. Init


O A

French Montana & Sheikha Mahra Confirm Engagement

French Montana & Sheikha Mahra Confirm Engagement

French Montana is starting his next chapter in life with a major gesture of love. The rapper proposed to Princess Sheikha Mahra bint Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum with a diamond ring that carries a price tag of more than one million dollars. The piece was created by Eric the Jeweler of Mavani & Co., who worked closely with French for several months before the final design was completed. The ring features an emerald-cut diamond that weighs 11.53 carats and is valued at approximately $1,050,000


O A

Cam Newton Signs Multi-Year Deal with ESPN

Cam Newton Signs Multi-Year Deal with ESPN

Expect to see more of Cam Newton on ESPN.  The former NFL MVP has signed a muliti-year deal with the network who will expand his role on First Take, ESPN’s signature morning debate show. OnThursday (August 28), Newton made his return during a live show at Norfolk State University as part of the First Take HBCU tour. In a statement, Newton expressed his excitement to be back with the sports network. “I am excited to be back with the First Take team and share my voice on all things sports,” New


O A

Michael Jackson’s Son Prince Announces Engagement to Longtime Girlfriend

Michael Jackson’s Son Prince Announces Engagement to Longtime Girlfriend

Prince Jackson is stepping into a new chapter of his life, and it comes with a big announcement. The 27-year-old son of Michael Jackson revealed that he is now engaged to his longtime partner, Molly Schirmang. On Tuesday, August 27th, he shared the news with his Instagram followers through a carousel of photos that captured some of their happiest moments together. Embed The collection of pictures gave fans a closer look at their relationship, including a photo where Prince and Molly are seen s


O A