Novak Djokovic Boycotts On-Court Interview to Protest Broadcaster’s Remarks
#image_title

Novak Djokovic Boycotts On-Court Interview to Protest Broadcaster’s Remarks


Share this post

Novak Djokovic was booed after boycotting an on-court interview at the Australian Open - but those fans may already be regretting their actions.

The 24-time Grand Slam record holder overcame Jiri Lehecka in straight sets to book a blockbuster quarter-final clash with Carlos Alcaraz, but he wasn’t in the mood to talk about it post-match.

Djokovic took the microphone and turned away from four-time Grand Slam champion Jim Courier to speak to the crowd, uttering just 24 words.

He said: “Thank you very much for being here tonight, I appreciate your presence and support and I’ll see you next round, thank you very much.”

There were cheers, but also some boos as tennis stars usually hang around to discuss their match in depth, yet the Serbian would explain his protest later on.

Speaking in his post-match press conference, Djokovic revealed his actions came as a result of remarks made by Australian presenter Tony Jones last week.

He stated: "I would like to just clarify the reason why the interview was not conducted on the court.

"A couple of days ago, the famous sports journalist who works for official broadcaster Channel Nine here in Australia, made a mockery of Serbian fans and also made insulting and offensive comments towards me.

"And since then, he chose not to issue any public apology. Neither did Channel Nine. So since they’re official broadcasters, I chose not to give interviews for Channel Nine.

"I have nothing against Jim Courier or neither the Australian public. It was a very awkward situation for me to face on the court today.”

The moment Djokovic was discussing hadn’t quite gone viral, but it likely will now as presenter Jones made some bizarre and harsh remarks about the 37-year-old.

Speaking in front of a crowd of fans with Serbian flags, he turned to them and said: “Novak he’s overrated.

“Novak, he’s a has-been, Novak, kick him out. Boy I’m glad they can’t hear me.”

It was perhaps just a joke from Jones, but it wasn’t exactly an amusing one, with most failing to see the funny side.

One of those was Australian star Nick Kyrgios, who reposted the video on Instagram with the words: “Coming from this clown – couldn't run around a park this bloke.”

Another Aussie tennis star, 1982 Australian Open semi-finalist Paul McNamee, also had his say.

“Tony I'm surprised, especially as you work for the host broadcaster, that you would send up a bunch of Aussies [with European heritage] having a good time celebrating their Ten-time AO champion… trying to be funny mate,” he wrote on social media in response.

Djokovic already has a difficult relationship with Australia after being deported in 2022 for failing to comply with their Covid-19 regulations.

Yet the majority of the crowd were still on the side of who many consider the greatest of all time - at least when it comes to statistics.

Currently ranked seventh in the world, Djokovic will be looking to add to his 24 majors, but standing in his way is a man who’s helped nudge him towards retirement.

World No. 3 Alcaraz passed Britain’s Jack Draper in a walkover to set up the mouthwatering clash, which will be the eighth meeting between himself and Djokovic.

The elder competitor boasts a 4-3 record from their seven meetings so far, but Alcaraz saves his best for the big time, beating Djokovic in the past two Wimbledon finals.

Yet their last clash in last summer’s Paris Olympics saw Djokovic take gold over his Spanish rival in incredibly emotional scenes that revitalised his late career charge towards more honours.

The pair will meet again on Tuesday for a place in the last four.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Hong Kong Fire Claims 94 Lives as Families Search for the Missing

Hong Kong Fire Claims 94 Lives as Families Search for the Missing

Families of the scores still missing after Hong Kong‘s worst blaze in decades scoured hospitals Friday as firefighting operations ended, with the death toll at least 94. Flames had moved quickly through the Wang Fuk Court housing estate in Tai Po district on Wednesday afternoon, spreading through the eight high-rises and transforming the densely packed complex into an inferno. A new time-lapse video shows just how dramatic and intense the fire was. The death toll is 83, with many still missin


O A

Eminem & Jack White Electrify Detroit’s Thanksgiving Halftime Show

Eminem & Jack White Electrify Detroit’s Thanksgiving Halftime Show

In a landmark moment for Detroit sports and music, Eminem and Jack White shared the stage for the first time during the Detroit Lions’ Thanksgiving Day halftime show against the Green Bay Packers. The performance united two of the city’s most celebrated musicians in a collaboration that sent the stadium into a frenzy. Eminem, a lifelong Lions supporter, partnered with his manager, Paul Rosenberg, to orchestrate the event. Fans were treated to Jack White’s powerful set, featuring a mix of his i


O A

Clan Descendants in US and Canada Save Historic Church in Just 48 Hours

Clan Descendants in US and Canada Save Historic Church in Just 48 Hours

A couple who decided to save their local church took just two days to raise the money to make the purchase thanks to donations from well-wishers around the world.  Andrew and Kirsteen Michell crowd-funded £70,000 to buy Applegarth Church near Lockerbie following an appeal to members of Clan Jardine, whose ancient family seat lies within the tiny hamlet.  Descendants from the United States, South Africa and Canada put their hands in their pockets to help secure the future of the building.  The


O A

Carmelo Anthony & La La Go Viral At Kiyan Anthony’s Syracuse Game In Las Vegas

Carmelo Anthony & La La Go Viral At Kiyan Anthony’s Syracuse Game In Las Vegas

Social media erupted on November 25 after a courtside clip of Carmelo Anthony and La La Anthony sitting beside each other at their son Kiyan’s Syracuse game went viral.  The former couple, who ended their marriage in 2021 after years of public highs and lows, appeared composed but noticeably distant as they watched Syracuse face Houston at the Players Era Tournament in Las Vegas. That brief moment was enough to send fans into a spiral of speculation about their dynamic, their past, and the quie


O A