Israel and Hamas Begin Indirect Talks in Egypt Over Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan

Israel and Hamas Begin Indirect Talks in Egypt Over Trump’s Gaza Peace Plan


Share this post

Indirect talks aimed at reaching a final agreement on a US peace plan to end the war in Gaza have begun in the Egyptian city of Sharm El-Sheikh. 

Palestinian and Egyptian officials have told the BBC that the sessions are focused on "creating the field conditions" for a possible exchange that would see the release of all Israeli hostages in return for a number of Palestinian prisoners.

Hamas has said it agrees to the peace plan proposals in part, but has not responded to several key demands - including its disarmament and future role in Gaza.

Israel's prime minister said on Saturday that he hoped to announce the release of hostages "in the coming days".

The talks, which will see Egyptian and Qatari officials holding shuttle meetings with delegations from both Israel and Hamas separately, come on the eve of the second anniversary of the Hamas-led attack on southern Israel on 7 October 2023, in which about 1,200 people were killed and 251 others were taken hostage.

The Israeli military launched a campaign in Gaza in response. Since then, 67,160 have been killed by Israeli military operations in Gaza, according to the territory's Hamas-run health ministry.

These discussions are expected to be among the most consequential since the start of the war and could determine whether a path toward ending the conflict is finally within reach.

US special envoy Steve Witkoff, Trump's son-in-law Jared Kushner and Qatari foreign minister Sheikh Mohammed bin Abdulrahman Al Thani are among those attending.

Donald Trump, writing on social media, has urged everyone involved in efforts to end the Gaza war to "move fast" and says he has been told the first phase of the peace plan - which includes the hostage release - "should be completed this week". 

The 20-point plan, which has been agreed upon by US President Donald Trump and Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, proposes an immediate end to fighting and the release of 48 hostages, only 20 of whom are thought to be alive, in exchange for hundreds of detained Gazans.

The plan stipulates that once both sides agree to the proposal "full aid will be immediately sent into the Gaza Strip".

It also states that Hamas would have no role in governing Gaza, and it leaves the door open for an eventual Palestinian state.

However, after the plan was announced publicly a week ago, Netanyahu reinstated his longstanding opposition to a Palestinian state, saying in a video statement: "It's not written in the agreement. We said we would strongly oppose a Palestinian state."

On Friday, Hamas responded to the proposal in a statement, in which the group agreed "to release all Israeli prisoners, both living and dead, according to the exchange formula contained in President Trump's proposal" - if the proper conditions for the exchanges are met.

It did not specifically mention or accept Trump's 20-point plan but said it "renews its agreement to hand over the administration of the Gaza Strip to a Palestinian body of independents (technocrats), based on Palestinian national consensus and Arab and Islamic support."

The statement made no mention of one of the key demands of the plan – that Hamas agree to its disarmament and to playing no further role in the governance of Gaza.

It added that the part of the proposals dealing with the future of Gaza and the rights of Palestinian people was still being discussed "within a national framework", of which it said Hamas will be a part.

Many Palestinians described Hamas' response to the peace plan as unexpected, after days of indications that the group was preparing to reject or at least heavily condition its acceptance of Trump's peace plan proposal.

Instead, Hamas refrained from including its traditional "red lines" in the official statement, a move many interpret as a sign of external pressure.

European and Middle Eastern leaders have welcomed the proposal. The Palestinian Authority (PA), which governs parts of the Israeli-occupied West Bank, has called the US president's efforts "sincere and determined".

Iran - which has been one of Hamas's main sponsors for many years - has also now signalled its support for Trump's Gaza peace plan.

Israeli bombardment continued in several parts of the Gaza Strip on Monday ahead of the talks beginning.

Israel is carrying out an offensive in the city, which it has said is aimed at securing the release of the remaining hostages.

Mahmoud Basal, spokesman for Gaza's Hamas-run civil defence, told the BBC that "no aid trucks have been allowed into Gaza City since the offensive began four weeks ago".

"There are still bodies we cannot retrieve from areas under Israeli control," he said.

Hundreds of thousands of Gaza City residents have been forced to flee after the Israeli military ordered evacuations to a designated "humanitarian area" in the south, but hundreds of thousands more are believed to have remained.

Israel's defence minister has warned that those who stay during the offensive would be "terrorists and supporters of terror".

In the last 24 hours, 21 Palestinians have been killed in Gaza and a further 96 injured, the Hamas-run health ministry said in its latest update.

International journalists have been banned by Israel from entering the Gaza Strip independently since the start of the war, making verifying claims from both sides difficult.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville, home of the Tennessee Titans, will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030 after all 32 NFL owners unanimously voted for it on Tuesday. The league now has its Super Bowl site schedule finalized for the next three years, with SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles) set to be the host this season, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta) in 2028, then Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas) in 2029. Nashville will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030! #SBLXIV pic.twitter.com/A4ZsLrQaUP — NFL (@NFL) May 19, 2026 'New' Nissan Stadium


O A

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James is facing one of the most uncertain offseasons of his career. The 41-year-old star has not decided whether he will return for another NBA season. His comments followed the Los Angeles Lakers playoff exit earlier this week. The team was eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder in a first-round sweep. “I don’t know what the future holds,” James said after the loss.  He added that he plans to take time with his family before making any decision. Uncertainty After a Historic Season


O A

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B leads the 2026 BET Awards nominations, securing six noms including Album of the Year and Best Female Hip Hop Artist.  The nominations, announced Tuesday, position the “I Like It” artist ahead of a highly competitive field of musicians and actors set to be honored at next month’s ceremony. The 2026 BET Awards will air live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles on June 28.  Following closely behind Cardi B are Kendrick Lamar and Mariah the Scientist, who both earned five nominations ea


O A

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese took a wall of boos from Dallas fans and turned it into fuel, powering her way to a monster double‑double in one of her early WNBA games. The Chicago Sky rookie was loudly jeered during introductions and each time she touched the ball but responded with relentless work on the glass and in the paint. Game recaps note that Reese racked up an impressive stat line, dominating the boards and battling through contact as the crowd tried to throw her off. The game quickly became a talking p


B P