BBC Chief Tim Davie Resigns After Row Over Trump Documentary

BBC Chief Tim Davie Resigns After Row Over Trump Documentary


Share this post

The director general of the British Broadcasting Corporation announced his resignation Sunday following a row over the editing of a documentary about US President Donald Trump.

Tim Davie and the BBC’s head of news, Deborah Turness, resigned after accusations that a documentary by its flagship Panorama programme edited a speech by Trump in a misleading way.

“Like all public organisations, the BBC is not perfect, and we must always be open, transparent and accountable,” Davie said in a statement posted on the BBC website.

“While not being the only reason, the current debate around BBC News has understandably contributed to my decision… I have to take ultimate responsibility.”

Davie’s departure comes a week after The Sunday Telegraph leaked an internal memo raising concerns about the documentary.

Earlier Sunday, the UK Culture, Media and Sport Minister Lisa Nandy described the allegations as “incredibly serious”.

Meanwhile, a UK government minister on Sunday described as “incredibly serious” allegations over the way the BBC edited clips of US President Donald Trump in a flagship documentary programme.

The comments by Culture, Media and Sport Minister Lisa Nandy came as the broadcaster said its chair Samir Shah would provide an explanation to a parliamentary committee on Monday.

Media outlets, including the BBC, reported Sunday that the response was expected to include an apology.

The concerns regard clips spliced together from sections of the US president’s speech on January 6, 2021 that made it appear he told supporters he was going to walk to the US Capitol with them and “fight like hell”.

In the undoctored clip, however, the president urged the audience to walk with him “and we’re going to cheer on our brave senators and congressmen and women”.

At the time, Trump was still disputing President Joe Biden’s election victory, in the vote which saw him ousted after his first term in office.

“The BBC chairman will provide a full response to the Culture, Media and Sport Committee on Monday,” a BBC spokesperson said.

The edit was included in a documentary entitled “Trump: A Second Chance?”, which was broadcast by the BBC the week before last year’s US election.

‘Bias’ allegation

Nandy said the Trump edit was one of a number of concerns about editorial standards at the BBC.

“It isn’t just about the Panorama programme, although that is incredibly serious, there are a series of very serious allegations made, the most serious of which is that there is systemic bias in the way that difficult issues are reported at the BBC,” she told BBC television in an interview.

Nandy added that she was concerned about a tendency for editorial standards and the language used in reports to be “entirely inconsistent” whether it be on “Israel, Gaza… trans people or on this issue about President Trump”.

The licence fee-funded broadcaster earlier this year issued several apologies for “serious flaws” in the making of another documentary, “Gaza: How To Survive A Warzone”, broadcast in February.

In October it accepted a sanction from the UK media watchdog for the “materially misleading” programme whose child narrator was later revealed to be the son of Hamas’s former deputy minister of agriculture.


Share this post
Comments

Be the first to know

Join our community and get notified about upcoming stories

Subscribing...
You've been subscribed!
Something went wrong
Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville set to host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030

Nashville, home of the Tennessee Titans, will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030 after all 32 NFL owners unanimously voted for it on Tuesday. The league now has its Super Bowl site schedule finalized for the next three years, with SoFi Stadium (Los Angeles) set to be the host this season, Mercedes-Benz Stadium (Atlanta) in 2028, then Allegiant Stadium (Las Vegas) in 2029. Nashville will host Super Bowl LXIV in 2030! #SBLXIV pic.twitter.com/A4ZsLrQaUP — NFL (@NFL) May 19, 2026 'New' Nissan Stadium


O A

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James Reflects on Future After Lakers Playoff Exit

LeBron James is facing one of the most uncertain offseasons of his career. The 41-year-old star has not decided whether he will return for another NBA season. His comments followed the Los Angeles Lakers playoff exit earlier this week. The team was eliminated by the Oklahoma City Thunder in a first-round sweep. “I don’t know what the future holds,” James said after the loss.  He added that he plans to take time with his family before making any decision. Uncertainty After a Historic Season


O A

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B Leads 2026 BET Awards Witb Six Nominations

Cardi B leads the 2026 BET Awards nominations, securing six noms including Album of the Year and Best Female Hip Hop Artist.  The nominations, announced Tuesday, position the “I Like It” artist ahead of a highly competitive field of musicians and actors set to be honored at next month’s ceremony. The 2026 BET Awards will air live from the Peacock Theater in Los Angeles on June 28.  Following closely behind Cardi B are Kendrick Lamar and Mariah the Scientist, who both earned five nominations ea


O A

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese Turns Dallas Boos Into Monster Double-Double

Angel Reese took a wall of boos from Dallas fans and turned it into fuel, powering her way to a monster double‑double in one of her early WNBA games. The Chicago Sky rookie was loudly jeered during introductions and each time she touched the ball but responded with relentless work on the glass and in the paint. Game recaps note that Reese racked up an impressive stat line, dominating the boards and battling through contact as the crowd tried to throw her off. The game quickly became a talking p


B P